[Python-Dev] What is the rationale behind source only releases?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed May 16 08:54:10 EDT 2018

On May 16, 2018, at 00:35, Alex Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:

> In the spirit of learning why there is a fence across the road before I tear
> it down out of ignorance [1], I'd like to know the rationale behind source
> only releases of cpython.

Historically, it was a matter of resources.  Making binary releases incurs costs and delays on the release process and release managers, including the folks who actually have to produce the binaries.  As a version winds down, we wanted to impose less work on those folks and less friction and delay in cutting a release.  There is still value in spinning a tarball though, for downstream consumers who need a tagged and blessed release.

Cheers,
-Barry