[Python-Dev] (Looking for) A Retrospective on the Move to Python 3

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat May 12 02:39:45 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:15:11AM -0700, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal via Python-Dev wrote:
> > while the changes introduced by Python 3
> > affect pretty much everyone, even people who only write small simple
> > scripts.
>
> Sure they do, but the *hard stuff* not so much.
>
> I have found 2to3 conversion to be remarkably easy and painless.

For what it's worth, one of the programmers at my former employer
decided to port their entire code base from 2.7 to 3.x without telling
anyone. He got bored waiting for management permission, so he stayed
back late after work one night and ported the whole thing in his own
time, it took him about four hours, and then he casually announced it
over IRC the next day.

Now this was a small team of coders with a relatively small code base,
maybe fifty to a hundred modules or so, ranging in size from a few lines
to maybe a thousand. And they did have a fair set of unit tests. (Not as
many as I would like, but some.)

So not all Python 3 migration stories turn into horror stories :-)

--
Steve