[Python-Dev] Python startup time

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri May 11 10:38:05 EDT 2018

Inspired by chg:

Could one make a little startup utility that, when invoked the first
time, starts up a raw python interpreter, keeps it running somewhere,
and then forks it to run the actual python code.

Then every invocation after that would make a new fork. I presume
forking is a LOT faster than re-invoking the entire startup.

I suspect that many of the cases where startup time really matters is
when a command line utility is likely to be invoked many times — often
in the same shell instance.

So having a “pre-built” warm interpreter ready to go could really help.

This is way past my technical expertise to know if it’s possible, or
to try to prototype it, but I’m sure many of you would know.

-CHB

Sent from my iPhone