[Python-Dev] Process to remove a Python feature

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue May 8 12:10:13 EDT 2018

On 05/04/2018 11:48 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 04.05.18 20:57, Matthias Bussonnier пише:

>> But when I hit a DeprecationWarning message there is one crucial piece of
>> information missing most of the time: Since which version number it's deprecated
>> (and sometime since when the replacement is available could be good if overlap
>> between functionality there was).
>
> I think the information about since which version number it will be removed is more useful. Different cases need
> different deprecation periods. The more common the case, the longer deprecation period should be. Some recently added
> warnings contain this information.

If we are going to provide extra metadata, we may as well supply it all.  Some folks will need the start date, some the
end date, and probably some both dates.

> X.Y+1: added a deprecation warning. Many users need to support only two recent versions and can move to using the
> replacement now.

I'm curious how you arrived at this conclusion?  I know I've only worked at two different Python-using companies, but
neither aggressively tracks the latest Python minor version, and as a library author I support more than the two most
recent versions.

--
~Ethan~