[Python-Dev] Process to remove a Python feature

Stéphane Blondon stephane.blondon at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:20:50 EDT 2018

Le 02/05/2018 à 11:11, Victor Stinner a écrit :
> * Communicate on python-dev, Twitter, Python Insider blog, etc.
> * Collaborate with major Python projects to help them to migrate the alternative

I wonder if it would be interesting to have a package available by
pypi.org which would provide the removed features. In your example, the
developers would have to update their source code:

# giving 'obsolete' as name for this package
platform.linux_distribution() -> obsolete.platform.linux_distribution()

The code in 'obsolete' package could come from the removed code from
cpython or a wrapper around a third-party package ('distro' package in
the example).

Plus:
 - quick temporary fix for users -> the removal is less painful
 - the name of the import is a hint that something has to be fixed ->
useful for new comers on the user source code

Cons:
 - it pushes the question to how many times the previous behavior should
be maintained from python language to 'obsolete' package. So it's not
completely solved.
 - it adds a step to removal procedure.
 - I guess there are some features not movable into a package.

--
Stéphane