[Python-Dev] Python linkage on macOS

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Fri May 4 09:52:17 EDT 2018

On May 4, 2018, at 08:10, Ray Donnelly <mingw.android at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 May 2018 00:21:54 +0000
>> Ray Donnelly <mingw.android at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyway, it is obviously safer for us to do what upstream does and I will
>>> try to post some benchmarks of static vs shared to the list so we can
>>> discuss it.
>> I have no idea what our default builds do on macOS, I'll let Ned Deily
>> or another mac expert answer (changing the topic in the hope he notices
>> this subthread :-)).
> And thanks for doing this. For the benchmarks I think I should build
> Python 3.6.5 (or would 3.7.0b4 be better?) from pyperformance built
> each way using the AD scripts and reply here with the results. If I do
> not get it done today then I hope to get them ready by Monday.

The macOS python interpreters provided by python.org binary installers have always (for a very long time of always) been built as shared, in particular the special macOS framework build configuration.  It would be very interesting to do Apple to Apple comparisons of shared vs static builds on macOS.  I would look forward to seeing any results you have, Ray, and your methodology.  Static builds is on my list of things to look at for 3.8.

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at python.org -- []