[Python-Dev] Python linkage on macOS

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri May 4 06:00:10 EDT 2018

On Fri, 04 May 2018 00:21:54 +0000
Ray Donnelly <mingw.android at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, on Windows there's always a python?.dll.
>
> macOS is an interesting one. For Anaconda 5.0 I read somewhere (how's that
> for a useless reference - and perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick)
> that Python for all Unixen should use a statically linked interpreter so I
> happily went ahead and did that.

A statically linked Python can also be significantly faster (10 to 20%
IIRC, more perhaps on ARM).  I think you already know about that :-)

> Anyway, it is obviously safer for us to do what upstream does and I will
> try to post some benchmarks of static vs shared to the list so we can
> discuss it.

I have no idea what our default builds do on macOS, I'll let Ned Deily
or another mac expert answer (changing the topic in the hope he notices
this subthread :-)).

Regards

Antoine.