[Python-Dev] Python startup time

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu May 3 14:59:33 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018, 20:59 INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently, I reported how stdlib slows down `import requests`.
> https://github.com/requests/requests/issues/4315#issuecomment-385584974

[...]

> * Add faster and simpler http.parser (maybe, based on h11 [1]) and avoid
> using email module in http module.

It's always risky making predictions, but hopefully by the time 3.8 is out,
requests will have switched to using h11 directly instead of the http
module. (Kenneth wants the big headline feature for the next major requests
release to be async support, and that pretty much requires switching to
something like h11.)

I don't know how fast importing h11 is though... It does currently compile
a bunch of regexps at import time :-).

-n