[Python-Dev] Drop/deprecate Tkinter?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Thu May 3 01:39:05 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-02, 21:41 GMT, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> So what do *you* think. Do you agree with the OP that Tkinter (and hence
> IDLE) should be scrapped?

It absolutely impossible to remove Tkinter IMHO (it has been
part of stdlib since like forever and people expect it there;
its removal would be betrayal on the level of switching = to
:=), I have my doubts about IDLE though. I know, the same
argument applies, but really, does anybody use IDLE for
development for long time, what is its real value for the
community? Although, even this argument is questionable, because
Python has some affinity with the learning, and IDLE is a nice
for first steps nibbling into Python.

Best,

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic, but one of them
is paranoid and the other one is out to get him.