[Python-Dev] Drop/deprecate Tkinter?

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed May 2 17:24:07 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 16:55 Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev <
python-dev at python.org> wrote:

> As https://bugs.python.org/issue33257 and
> https://bugs.python.org/issue33316 showed, Tkinter is broken, for both
> Py2 and Py3, with both threaded and non-threaded Tcl, since 2002 at
> least, and no-one gives a damn.
>
> This seems to be a testament that very few people are actually
> interested in or are using it.
>
> If that's so, there's no use keeping it in the standard library -- if
> anything, because there's not enough incentive and/or resources to
> support it. And to avoid screwing people (=me) up when they have the
> foolishness to think they can rely on it in their projects -- nowhere in
> the docs it is said that the module is only partly functional.

For the future, this is not how you communicate with the development
mailing list of any open source software project. I would suggest reading
https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/ for some pointers on how people
typically behave around here in particular.