[Python-Dev] Move ensurepip blobs to external place

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:31:54 EDT 2018

AFAIU, the objectives (with no particular ranking) are:

- minimize git clone time and bandwidth
- include latest pip with every python install
- run the full test suite with CI for every PR (buildbot)
  - the full test suite requires pip
- run the test suite locally when developing a PR
- minimize PyPI bandwidth

What are the proposed solutions?

https://help.github.com/articles/about-storage-and-bandwidth-usage/

> All personal and organization accounts using Git LFS receive 1 GB of free
storage and 1 GB a month of free bandwidth. If the bandwidth and storage
quotas are not enough, you can choose to purchase an additional quota for
Git LFS.

> Git LFS is available for every repository on GitHub, whether or not your
account or organization has a paid plan.