[Python-Dev] PEP 574 -- Pickle protocol 5 with out-of-band data

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Mar 29 10:18:35 EDT 2018

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:25:13 +0000
Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> > I doubt it'll be a problem to pickle though as it'll use some form of
> > versioning even in NONPORTABLE mode right?
> >

> I guess the (merged, but undocumented?) changes in
> https://bugs.python.org/issue28053 should make it possible to set the
> pickle version [...]

Not only undocumented, but untested and they are actually look plain
wrong when looking at that diff.  Notice how "reduction" is imported
using `from .context import reduction` and then changed inside the
"context" module using `globals()['reduction'] = reduction`.  That
seems unlikely to produce any effect.

(not to mention the abstract base class that doesn't seem to define any
abstract methods or properties)

To be frank such an unfinished patch should never have been committed.
I may consider undoing it if I find some spare cycles.

Regards

Antoine.