[Python-Dev] Symmetry arguments for API expansion

Robert Smallshire rob at sixty-north.com
Tue Mar 27 16:16:25 EDT 2018

In the PR I've submitted, that's essentially what I'm doing for the default
Real.is_integer() implementation. The details differ slightly, in that I
rely on the int() constructor to call __trunc__(), rather than introduce a
new dependency on the math module.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 at 21:29, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I know this is all done, but for completeness’ sake:
>
> I just noticed math.trunc() and __trunc__().
>
> So wouldn’t the “correct” way to check for an integral value be something
> like:
>
> obj.__trunc__() == obj
>
> I don’t think this has any bearing on adding is_integer() methods to
> numeric objects, but might if we wanted to add a generic is_integer()
> function somewhere.
>
> In any case, I don’t recall it being mentioned in the conversation, so
> thought I’d complete the record.
>
> -CHB
>

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:31 PM Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
>> wrote:

>>> )

*Robert Smallshire | *Managing Director
*Sixty North* | Applications | Consulting | Training
rob at sixty-north.com | T +47 63 01 04 44 | M +47 924 30 350
http://sixty-north.com