[Python-Dev] Better support for consuming vendored packages

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Fri Mar 23 09:28:31 EDT 2018

FWIW, this is a topic I was planning to bring up at the language summit this year, so for those who are going to be there and want to toss around ideas (mine is nearly developed enough to present, but not quite yet), bring them.

That said, I don’t think relying on relative imports within a package should be at all controversial, but perhaps it needs an official endorsement somehow? PEP 8 is what people read to find these, but I don’t know if it makes sense for the stdlib (maybe it could deal with some of the shadowing issues people run into? If they manage to import the top level module before their own appears ahead of it on sys.path... thinking out loud here).

Cheers,
Steve

Top-posted from my Windows phone