[Python-Dev] Symmetry arguments for API expansion

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Mar 20 21:32:12 EDT 2018

No, the whole point of __index__ is that it refuses *all* floats --
otherwise people will do approximate computations that for their simple
test inputs give whole numbers, use them as sequence indices, and then find
their code broken only when the computation incurs some floating point
approximation. OTOH, is_integer() specifically asks whether a given real
value is a whole number so you can cast it to int() without rounding, etc.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)