[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 -- bugfix or security before EOL?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 10 20:36:34 EST 2018

On 3/10/2018 4:59 PM, Michael Scott Cuthbert wrote:
> I notice on https://devguide.python.org that Python 3.5 is in “security”
> status with an EOL of 2020-09-13 but Python 2.7 is in “bugfix” and has a
> likely earlier EOL.

There is no relation between the two, or between 2.7 and any other
version.  2.7 is a completely special case.

>  Will there be a period where Py2.7 is in security-only status before hitting EOL?

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373 gives the public status.  When
Benjamin Peterson want to add something, he will.

Already, the main emphasis is on security, build, and test
infrastructure fixes.  Backporting bug and doc fixes is at developer
discretion.

>  Even if the EOL is set at the last possible date of 2020-12-31,

Benjamin Peterson will decide when he decides.  He has not yet announced
a date for a 2018 release.

People have mostly proposed either Jan 1 or sometime late spring related
to PyCon.  If you want something definite for your own planning, I
recommend that you assume Jan 1.

> it still is in the time period before
> EOL that other recent versions have gone to security only.

Again, not relevant.

You might want to read http://python3statement.org/.

Some major projects (like Django, I believe) have already put their last
2.x compatible version into bug-fix only mode and expect to stop
patching it before 2020.

--
Terry Jan Reedy