[Python-Dev] Informal educator feedback on PEP 572 (was Re: 2018 Python Language Summit coverage, last part)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jun 27 09:25:14 EDT 2018

Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev wrote:
> Using this assigned result elsewhere in the same expression (akin to
> regex backreferences) is not a part of the basic idea actually.

If that's true, then the proposal has mutated into something
that has *no* overlap whatsoever with the use case that started
this whole discussion, which was about binding a temporary
variable in a comprehension, for use *within* the comprehension.

> It depends on the evaluation order (and whether something is evaluated
> at all),

Which to my mind is yet another reason not to like ":=".

--
Greg