[Python-Dev] Policy on refactoring/clean up

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Tue Jun 26 07:43:32 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-26 13:11, Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev wrote:
> AFAICS, your PR is not a strict improvement

What does "strict improvement" even mean? Many changes are not strict
improvements, but still useful to have.

Inada pointed me to YAGNI
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_aren%27t_gonna_need_it) but I
disagree with that premise: there is a large gray zone between
"completely useless" and "really needed". My PR falls in that gap of
"nice to have but we can do without it".

> You may suggest it as a supplemental PR to PEP 580. Or even a part of
> it, but since the changes are controversial, better make the
> refactorings into separate commits so they can be rolled back separately
> if needed.

If those refactorings are rejected now, won't they be rejected as part
of PEP 580 also?