[Python-Dev] Informal educator feedback on PEP 572 (was Re: 2018 Python Language Summit coverage, last part)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:44:37 EDT 2018

On 25 June 2018 at 02:24, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> A quick follow-up: PEP 572 currently has two ideas: (a) introduce := for
> inline assignment, (b) when := is used in a comprehension, set the scope for
> the target as if the assignment occurred outside any comprehensions. It
> seems we have more support for (a) than for (b) -- at least Nick and Greg
> seem to be +0 or better for (a)

Right, the proposed blunt solution to "Should I use 'NAME = EXPR' or
'NAME := EXPR'?" bothers me a bit, but it's the implementation
implications of parent local scoping that I fear will create a
semantic tar pit we can't get out of later.

> but -1 for (b). IIRC (b) originated with
> Tim. But his essay on the topic, included as Appendix A
> (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0572/#appendix-a-tim-peters-s-findings)
> does not even mention comprehensions. However, he did post his motivation
> for (b) on python-ideas, IIRC a bit before PyCon; and the main text of the
> PEP gives a strong motivation
> (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0572/#scope-of-the-target).
> Nevertheless, maybe we should compromise and drop (b)?

Unfortunately, I think the key rationale for (b) is that if you
*don't* do something along those lines, then there's a different
strange scoping discrepancy that arises between the non-comprehension
forms of container displays and the comprehension forms:

    (NAME := EXPR,) # Binds a local
    tuple(NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

    [NAME := EXPR] # Binds a local
    [NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)] # Doesn't bind a local
    list(NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

    {NAME := EXPR} # Binds a local
    {NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)} # Doesn't bind a local
    set(NAME := EXPR for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

    {NAME := EXPR : EXPR2} # Binds a local
    {NAME := EXPR : EXPR2 for __ in range(1)} # Doesn't bind a local
    set((NAME := EXPR, EXPR2) for __ in range(1)) # Doesn't bind a local

Those scoping inconsistencies aren't *new*, but provoking them
currently involves either class scopes, or messing about with
locals().

The one virtue that choosing this particular set of discrepancies has
is that the explanation for why they happen is the same as the
explanation for how the iteration variable gets hidden from the
containing scope: because "(EXPR for ....)" et al create an implicitly
nested scope, and that nested scope behaves the same way as an
explicitly nested scope as far as name binding and name resolution is
concerned.

Parent local scoping tries to mitigate the surface inconsistency by
changing how write semantics are defined for implicitly nested scopes,
but that comes at the cost of making those semantics inconsistent with
explicitly nested scopes and with the read semantics of implicitly
nested scopes.

The early iterations of PEP 572 tried to duck this whole realm of
potential semantic inconsistencies by introducing sublocal scoping
instead, such that the scoping for assignment expression targets would
be unusual, but they'd be consistently unusual regardless of where
they appeared, and their quirks would clearly be the result of how
assignment expressions were defined, rather than only showing up in
how they interacted with other scoping design decisions made years
ago.

Cheers,
Nick.