[Python-Dev] About [].append == [].append

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 01:00:13 EDT 2018

22.06.18 00:04, Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev пише:
> On 21.06.2018 23:40, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> I'm with Serhiy here, for mutable values I don't think the methods
>> should compare equal, even when the values do. For immutables I don't
>> care either way, it's an implementation detail.
>>
> In this light, methods rather shouldn't have a rich comparison logic at
> all

This would be so if you get the same method object when resolve an
attribute. But a.f is not a.f. Every time a new method object is
created. If we want a.f == a.f, we need to implement a rich comparison
logic.

> -- at the very least, until we have a realistic use case and can
> flesh out the requirements for it.

There are realistic use cases. You will get a number of failures in the
Python tests if make method objects incomparable.