[Python-Dev] Some data points for the "annual release cadence" concept

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 09:42:42 EDT 2018

On 13 June 2018 at 02:23, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> So, to summarize, we need something like six for C?

Yeah, pretty much - once we can get to the point where it's routine for
folks to be building "abiX" or "abiXY" wheels (with the latter not actually
being a defined compatibility tag yet, but having the meaning of "targets
the stable ABI as first defined in CPython X.Y"), rather than feature
release specific "cpXYm" ones, then a *lot* of the extension module
maintenance pain otherwise arising from more frequent CPython releases
should be avoided.

There'd still be a lot of other details to work out to turn the proposed
release cadence change into a practical reality, but this is the key piece
that I think is a primarily technical hurdle: simplifying the current
"wheel-per-python-version-per-target-platform" community project build
matrices to instead be "wheel-per-target-platform".

Cheers,
Nick.