[Python-Dev] Python3 compiled listcomp can't see local var - bug or feature?

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 11 18:06:36 EDT 2018

Skip, I think you have misunderstood the  point I was making.  It was
not whether the loop variable should leak out of a list comprehension.
Rather, it was whether a local variable should, so to speak, "leak into"
a list comprehension.  And the answer is: it depends on whether the code
is executed normally, or via exec/eval.  Example:

def Test():
       x = 1
       print([x+i for i in range(1,3)])              # Prints [2,3]
       exec('print([x+i for i in range(1,3)])') # Raises NameError (x)
Test()

I (at least at first) found the difference in behaviour surprising.

Regards

Rob Cliffe