[Python-Dev] Microsoft to acquire GitHub for $7.5 b

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 7 13:33:45 EDT 2018

>  We shouldn't be uniquely or especially concerned just because
> Microsoft has purchased Github. Nothing has changed.

Exactly — but this change HAS made people think about an issue that we
should have already been thinking about.

At the end of the day, anyone, or any project, would be well served by
having a plan for potential loss of valuable data.

And the no brainer on that is : don’t have only one copy in one place.

That’s why my family photos are on my hard drive, and a backup drive,
and an online backup service.

My house could burn down, so I don’t want everything there. The backup
service could change its conditions, go out of business, or simply
have a technical failure — so I don’t want everything there, either.

Any service could change or fail. Period.

So we shouldn’t want valuable information about Python development
only in gitHub.

I don’t know how hard it is to backup / mirror an entire repo — but it
sure seems like a good idea.

-CHB