[Python-Dev] Unicode 11.0.0 released

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Thu Jun 7 03:40:02 EDT 2018

On Jun 6, 2018, at 00:22, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018, at 12:17, MRAB wrote:
>> Unicode 11.0.0 has been released. Will Python 3.7 be updated to it, or
>> is it too late?
>
> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/7439 will update 3.8. Generally, we've considered updating the Unicode database to be a feature and not backported updates to bugfix branches. Thus, tradition would seem to exclude Unicode 11.0.0 from landing so late in 3.7's release cycle. That said, the update is highly unlikely to break anything. It's up to Ned.

I'd hate for 3.7 to fall behind in the emoji race :)  Seriously, there are some important additions that will, no doubt, appear in platforms over the lifetime of 3.7 and the risk is very low.  Thanks for pinging about it.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/7470

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at python.org -- []