[Python-Dev] Microsoft to acquire GitHub for $7.5 billion

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:03:14 EDT 2018

On 5 June 2018 at 23:10, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu> wrote:

> On 2018-06-04, 23:38 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > No, but Guido is right: neither is anyone else.
> >
> > In that regard, Microsoft is probably *more* likely to keep pumping
> > money into a failing business if it gives them a strategic advantage,
> > compared to other investors with no long-term strategy other than "get
> > aquired by Google/Microsoft/Oracle/Apple".
>
> Let me just to say here, that gitlab.com has export of
> repository together with all metadata. Just saying.

I was actually looking into this recently to see if the repository import
feature could be used to run a regularly updated repository mirror that
included all issues and PR comments in addition to the code, and noticed
that one of the things that GitLab really requires to create a high quality
export is for folks to have linked their GitLab instance accounts with
their GitHub ones - if you don't already have that account mapping in
place, then the import currently loses the ability to link users correctly
with their comments and commits (We have a partial mapping due to folks
adding their account names to bugs.python.org for CLA signing purposes, but
not in a form that GitLab could actually use, since they need the API
access authorisation).

That said, I personally don't think this changes much about our
relationship with GitHub, except for the fact that we're now dealing with a
large publicly traded multinational with relatively transparent financial
reports rather than a smallish privately held company that was only
financially accountable to the venture capitalists backing it. I'm more
confident in my ability to predict Microsoft's business incentives based on
the prevailing technology landscape than I am in my ability to predict the
actions of a VC firm like Andreesen Horowitz :)

Cheers,
Nick.