[Python-Dev] Stable ABI

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Jun 3 06:03:25 EDT 2018

On 02.06.18 05:47, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 2 June 2018 at 03:45, Jeroen Demeyer <J.Demeyer at ugent.be
> <mailto:J.Demeyer at ugent.be>> wrote:
>
>     On 2018-06-01 17:18, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
>         Unfortunately, very few people use the stable ABI currently, so it's
>         easy for things like this to get missed.
>

>     So there are no tests for the stable ABI in Python?
>

> Unfortunately not.
>
> https://bugs.python.org/issue21142 is an old issue suggesting automating
> those checks (so we don't inadvertently add or remove symbols for
> previously published stable ABI definitions), but it's not yet made it
> to the state of being sufficiently well automated that it can be a
> release checklist item in PEP 101.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Actually, I think we don't need such a test any more, or we
could use this one as a heuristic test:

I have written a script that scans all relevant header files
and analyses all sections which are reachable in the limited API
context.
All macros that don't begin with an underscore which contain
a "->tp_" string are the locations which will break.

I found exactly 7 locations where this is the case.

My PR will contain the 7 fixes plus the analysis script
to go into tools. Preparind that in the evening.

cheers -- Chris

Christian Tismer-Sperling    :^)   tismer at stackless.com
Software Consulting          :     http://www.stackless.com/
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :     http://pyside.org
14482 Potsdam                :     GPG key -> 0xFB7BEE0E
phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023