[Python-Dev] Tests failing on Windows with TESTFN

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jul 28 20:40:11 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018, 15:13 eryk sun, <eryksun at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Jeremy Kloth <jeremy.kloth at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > *PLEASE*, don't use tempfile to create files/directories in tests.  It
> > is unfriendly to (Windows) buildbots.  The current approach of
> > directory-per-process ensures no test turds are left behind, whereas
> > the tempfile solution slowly fills up my buildbot.  Windows doesn't
> > natively clean out the temp directory.
>
> FYI, Windows 10 storage sense (under system->storage) can be
> configured to delete temporary files on a schedule. Of course that
> doesn't help with older systems.

If Windows doesn't clean up its temp directory on a regular basis then that
doesn't suggest to me not to use tempfile, but instead that the use of
tempfile still needs to clean up after itself. And if there is a lacking
feature in tempfile then we should add it instead of a avoiding the module.

-Brett