[Python-Dev] Time for 3.4.9 and 3.5.6

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jul 8 18:32:16 EDT 2018

On 07/08/2018 10:05 AM, Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev wrote:

> I'll use this opportunity to remind you that 3.4 build is broken -- it
> can't be built from start to installer with the instructions given
> because of outside factors (CPython has migrated from Hg to Git).
> https://bugs.python.org/issue31623 about this was ignored (see
> https://bugs.python.org/issue31623#msg303708 for supplemental fixes).
>
> If this isn't something considered needing a fix, the claim that 3.4
> is supported in any shape and form is but a pretense -- if something
> can't be built, it can't be used.

By "3.4 build is broken", you mean that building the installer is broken
on Windows.  Sadly the maintainer of that installer is no longer part of
the Python community, and as a Linux-only dev I have no way of testing
any proposed change.

More importantly, 3.4 is in security-fixes-only mode, which means that
changes that aren't security fixes won't be accepted.  Fixing this would
not be a security fix.  So even if the patch was clean and well-reviewed
and worked perfectly I'm simply not going to merge it into 3.4.  The 3.4
tree is only going to be in security-fixes mode for another eight months
anyway, after which I will retire as 3.4 release manager, and 3.4 will
no longer be supported by the Python core development community at all.

As pointed out in that bpo issue: if the problem is entirely due to
switching from "git" to "hg", then you should have very little
difficulty working around that.  You can use a git-to-hg bridge, or
create a local-only hg repo from the 3.4 tree.  That should permit you
to build your own installers.  I'm a little sad that the 3.4 Windows
installers no longer build directly out-of-tree without such a
workaround, but sometimes that's just what happens with a Python release
three major releases out of date languishing in security-fixes-only mode.

//arry/