[Python-Dev] OS-X builds for 3.7.0

Ray Donnelly mingw.android at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:12:18 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Joni Orponen <j.orponen at 4teamwork.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Ray Donnelly <mingw.android at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> We see a 1.1 to 1.2 times performance benefit over official releases as
>> measured using 'python performance'.
>>
>> Apart from a static interpreter we also enable LTO and PGO and only build
>> for 64-bit so I'm not sure how much each bit continues. Our recipe for
>> python 3.6 can be found at:
>

> Do you metrify LTO and PGO independent of each other as well or only the
> "enable everything" combo? I've had mixed results with LTO so far, but this
> is probably hardware / compiler combination specific.

I've never found enough time to take detailed metrics, sorry. Maybe
one day? Looking at my performance graphs again:

Against the official CPython 3.6 (probably .3 or .4) release I see:
1 that is 2.01x faster (python-startup, 24.6ms down to 12.2ms)
5 that are >=1.5x,<1.6x faster.
13 that are >=1.4x,<1.5x faster.
21 that are >=1.3x,<1.4x faster.
14 that are >=1.2x,<1.3x faster.