[Python-Dev] Is static typing still optional?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 01:34:37 EST 2018

On 29 January 2018 at 12:08, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I think this is a good candidate for fine-tuning during the beta period.
>
> Though honestly Python's own rules for when a class is hashable or not are
> the root cause for the complexity here -- since we decided to implicitly set
> __hash__ = None when you define __eq__, it's hardly surprising that
> dataclasses are having a hard time making natural rules.

In Raymond's example, the problem is the opposite: data classes are
currently interpreting "hash=False" as "Don't add a __hash__
implementation" rather than "Make this unhashable". That
interpretation isn't equivalent due to object.__hash__ existing by
default. (Reviewing Eric's table again, I believe this problem still
exists in the 3.7b1 variant as well - I just missed it the first time
I read that)

I'd say the major argument in favour of Raymond's suggestion (i.e.
always requiring an explicit "hash=True" in the dataclass decorator
call if you want the result to be hashable) is that even if we *do*
come up with a completely consistent derivation rule that the
decorator can follow, most *readers* aren't going to know that rule.
It would become a Python gotcha question for tech interviews:

=============
Which of the following class definitions are hashable and what is
their hash based on?:

    @dataclass
    class A:
        field: int