[Python-Dev] Positional-only parameters in Python

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jan 21 16:44:41 EST 2018

On 01/21/2018 05:59 AM, Mario Corchero wrote:
> Credit for making left option groups higher precedence goes to
> Nick Coghlan. (Conversation in person at PyCon US 2013.)

Actually Argument Clinic has always given left option groups higher
precedence.  This theoretically allows Argument Clinic to elegantly
support the range builtin as "range([start,] stop, [step])", although
nobody has bothered to actually convert range() to Clinic. (Which is
reasonable--I don't think there's any reason to bother.)

Anyway, this acknowledgement is the only mention of "option groups" in
the document.  Perhaps this was in reference to the now-abandoned idea
of adding "option groups" to the language?  If so, this acknowledgement
should probably be removed too.

//arry/