[Python-Dev] Python 3.7: Require OpenSSL >=1.0.2 / LibreSSL >= 2.5.3

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sun Jan 14 08:39:54 EST 2018

On 2018-01-14 09:24, Matt Billenstein wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Python3 on osx bundles openssl since Apple has
> deprecated (and no longer ships the header files for) the version shipped with
> recent versions of osx.
>
> Perhaps this is an option to support the various flavors of Linux as well?

AFAK Apple has decided to compile and statically link CPython's ssl with
an ancient, customized LibreSSL version. Cory posted [1] a couple of
months ago

Can confirm: macOS 10.13 will ship a Python linked against LibreSSL
2.2.7. A downside: this continues to use the TEA, meaning you cannot
choose to distrust the system roots with it.

For TEA, see Hynek's blog post [2]

I'm not going to add OpenSSL sources or builds to CPython. We just got
rid of copies of libffi and other 3rd party dependencies. Crypto and TLS
libraries are much, MUCH more complicated to handle than libffi. It's a
constant moving targets of attacks. Vendors and distributions also have
different opinions about trust store and policies.

Let's keep build dependencies a downstream and vendor problem.

Christian

[1] https://twitter.com/lukasaoz/status/872085966579802112
[2] https://hynek.me/articles/apple-openssl-verification-surprises/