[Python-Dev] How is the GitHub workflow working for people?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 22:37:37 EST 2018

On 22 February 2018 at 13:27, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> What we need now is not more opinions on which formatter or linter is best.
> We need someone to actually do some work and estimate how much code would be
> changed if we ran e.g. tabnanny.py (or something more advanced!) over the
> entire stdlib, how much code would break (even the most conservative
> formatter sometimes breaks code that wasn't expecting to be reformatted --
> e.g. we used to have tests with significant trailing whitespace), and how
> often the result would be just too ugly to look at.

I believe we still run Tools/scripts/reindent.py and
Tools/scripts/reindent-rst.py as pre-merge checks. (I actually thought
we add a reindent-c.py script as well, since Py3 switched all the C
code over to using spaces for indentation to match the Python
conventions, but it appears not).

Cheers,
Nick.