[Python-Dev] PEP 467 (Minor API improvements for binary sequences) - any thoughts?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 21 15:39:17 EST 2018

I think the chances of a "byte" object are about as good as the chances of
a character object (though one can always implement such in C extensions,
that wouldn't build them into the syntax). The fact that characters are
single-byte strings is responsible for certain anomalies with (e.g.) the
__contains__ operator (list elements aren't lists, but string element are
strings), but overall the choices made lead to sensible, comprehensible
code.

regards
 Steve

Steve Holden