[Python-Dev] Replacement proposal for PEP 557 Data Classes

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 19:26:59 EST 2018

On 18 February 2018 at 09:14, Ramazan POLAT <ramazanpolat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have been working on a new way to use Python classes as enhanced dict
> object(I called it Prodict).
> My solution is (IMHO) more concise and brings more features.
> So I wanted to make it a PEP until I saw PEP 557 Data Classes.
> With my proposed enhancement, I can do everything Data Classes can do plus
> some neat features.
> Since 3.7b1 is out and already integrates data classes, how do I proceed?
> Propose a replacement for PEP 557 or prepare a new PEP?

The introduction of data classes was prompted by the popularity of the
3rd party attrs library, so the first step would be to achieve that
level of popularity.

However, with instances being dict instances, there are quite a few
attrs/dataclasses features that I expect you would find difficult to
replicate (hashability, immutable instances, ordered comparison
support), so your library strikes as being more an advanced
alternative to types.SimpleNamespace rather than an alternative to
data classes.

Cheers,
Nick.