[Python-Dev] Use of Cython

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Wed Aug 8 06:44:50 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-06, 15:13 GMT, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Not sure I understand this correctly, but I think we're on the
> same page here: writing test code in C is cumbersome, writing
> test code in a mix of C and Python across different files is
> aweful. And making it difficult to write or even just review
> test code simply means that people will either waste their
> precious contribution time on it, or try to get around it.

I was thinking about the same when porting M2Crypto to py3k
(M2Crypto is currently swig-based mix of C-code and Python). Is
it even possible to make a mix of Cython, swig-based C, and
Python? In the end I rather stayed with plain C, because the
combination seems unimaginably awful.

(Also, is Cython the best of all of them? What about cffi or
Nuitka?)

Best,

Matěj
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

There is no reason to suppose that most human beings are engaged
in maximizing anything unless it be unhappiness, and even this
with incomplete success.
    -- Ronald Coase
       Introduction to “The Firm, the Market, and the Law”