[Python-Dev] [PEP 576/580] Comparing PEP 576 and 580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Wed Aug 1 06:17:34 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-31 11:12, INADA Naoki wrote:
> Any PEP won't be accepted in few month, because we don't have flow to
> accept PEPs for now.

Is that certain? I haven't been following the process discussions, so
I'm just asking the question. For example, given that you are already
looking at PEP 580, would it be possible for you to handle PEP 580 as
official BDFL-Delegate (even if there is no BDFL)?

> So it's worthless that waiting PEP accepted before start PoC.

First of all, it's too early for a proof-of-concept of native C calling.
We first have to design the theory before we can start implementing
anything.

But even if we could start to write a proof of concept, I would really
prefer doing that on top of PEP 580. There are two reasons for this:

1. If PEP 580 is rejected, I very much doubt that the native C calling
protocol will be accepted.

2. I would be good to use PEP 580 as a framework for the implementation.
Otherwise we have to implement it twice: once before PEP 580 with the
proof-of-concept and then again after PEP 580 with the "real"
implementation.

Jeroen.