[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Apr 30 20:27:08 EDT 2018

On 04/30/2018 07:30 AM, Mark Shannon wrote:
> Would Python be better with two subtly different assignment operators?
> The answer of "no" seems self evident to me.

Maybe this has been covered in the thread earlier--if so, I missed it,
sorry.  But ISTM that Python already has multiple ways to perform an
assignment.

All these statements assign to x:

    x = y
    for x in y:
    with y as x:
    except Exception as x:

And, if you want to get *super* pedantic:

    import x
    def x(): ...
    class x: ...

I remain -1 on 572, but I'm not sure it can genuinely be said that
Python only has one way to assign a value to a variable.

//arry/