[Python-Dev] PEP 394: Allow the `python` command to not be installed (and other minor edits)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:36:34 EDT 2018

On 30 April 2018 at 18:11, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:

> > (...)
> > - The paragraph about the anticipated future where python points to
> Python 3
> > is removed.
>
> Instead of editing old PEPs, would it make sense to write a new one
> which replaces the old one?
>
> The PEP 394 has been written in 2011 and accepted in 2012. Editing an
> accepted PEP makes it harder to dig into the history of PEPs.
>
> I know that the PEP 8 is updated regularly, so it's not a requirement,
> just a proposal for the special PEP 394.

We edit PEP 394 in place for the same reason we edit PEP 8 in place: so
people have a consistent place to get our current recommendations.

It isn't like a packaging interoperability spec or the Python language &
library specs, where folks regularly need to know what changed between
particular revisions.

If folks really want to know how the recommendations have changed over
time, then browsing
https://github.com/python/peps/commits/master/pep-0394.txt isn't overly
difficult.

(That said, I also wouldn't be opposed to adding an inline change log to
the PEP, since it helps highlights the cases where the recommendations
*have* changed, which can be helpful for folks that were already familiar
with the older versions)

Cheers,
Nick.