[Python-Dev] PEP 394: Allow the `python` command to not be installed (and other minor edits)

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 11:37:14 EDT 2018

Hello,
After discussion on the [Pull Request], my update to PEP 394 changed
scope somewhat. The new major changes are:

- The `python` command may not exist at all in some cases (see the PEP
for details)
- The paragraph about the anticipated future where python points to
Python 3 is removed. (We'd rather see a future where `python` doesn't
exist and one always has to specify `python2` or `python3`.)
- The PEP now explicitly says that in an active venv, python means that
venv's interpreter. (Some view this as a design mistake, but one not
worth reverting now.)

There are also other edits and clarifications.

Thanks for everyone involved, especially Guido for pitching in with the
intended direction -- which was not clear from (or is genuinely
different from) the 7-year-old PEP!

I'll keep the PR open for a day or so, in case someone still wants to
comment.

[Pull Request]: https://github.com/python/peps/pull/630