[Python-Dev] (name := expression) doesn't fit the narrative of PEP 20

Zero Piraeus schesis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:00:46 EDT 2018

:

On 25 April 2018 at 21:28, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> A very emotional appeal, you don't seem to grasp the usability improvements
> this will give. I hear you but at this point appeals to Python's "Zen" don't
> help you.

I have to admit, in half-following this discussion I've swung between
thinking "there's no way this is actually going to happen" and "what,
this might actually happen?"

Since it now looks like it really *does* have a decent chance, and
maybe another -1 has a small chance of tipping the balance: my
reaction to the proposal is also emotional. Visceral, in fact, to the
extent that I'd aim to read and write less Python if it became
commonplace.

I don't have arguments. I just have an instinctive "ugh, no".

 -[]z.