[Python-Dev] The new and improved PEP 572, same great taste with 75% less complexity!

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Apr 26 14:33:04 EDT 2018

On 04/26/2018 11:18 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> In the reference implementation, it's just DUP_TOP followed by
> STORE_FAST (well, technically by "whatever the assignment compiles
> to", as it could be affected by global/nonlocal, closures, etc). Is
> there much advantage to creating a new opcode?

Probably not much, but I thought we now lived in an age of wonders where
common sequences of opcodes were getting mashed together into new
more-complicated-but-redundant bytecodes (e.g.
BUILD_MAP_UNPACK_WITH_CALL) just to save on dispatch overhead. You're
right, it'd be a micro-optimization, and its value would be debatable.

//arry/