[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Mon Apr 23 17:34:22 EDT 2018

On 23.04.2018 23:19, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I also think it effectively solves the switch-statement problem:
>
> if (get_response() as answer) == 'yes':
>      do_it()
> elif answer == 'no':
>      skip_it()
> elif answer == 'maybe'
>      okay_then()
>
> That’s Pythonic enough for jazz!

Is it just me or since when has the following Python code fallen out of
favor?

answer = get_response()
if answer == 'yes':
     do_it()
elif answer == 'no':
     skip_it()
elif answer == 'maybe'
     okay_then()

I really don't see anything I would want to optimize here. Not even a
single bit. But as said that might just be me.

What I like about this code is:
1) symmetry: all ifs are equally structured
2) classic IPO model: first get input, then process (, then output)

Sven