[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:07:28 EDT 2018

On 17 April 2018 at 14:01, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
> Strongly agree with Nick that only simple name targets should be permitted
> (at least initially). NONE of the motivating cases use more complex targets,
> and allowing them encourages obscurity and code golf.

I also agree. Originally I would have said why not allow them, it's a
potentially useful generalisation. But Nick's examples pretty clearly
demonstrate that there are a lot of unclear edge cases involved, and
even though "prevent people writing ugly code" is explicitly stated as
a non-goal in the PEP, that doesn't mean it's OK to allow an obvious
bug magnet with no clear use cases.

Paul