[Python-Dev] PEP 575: Unifying function/method classes

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Mon Apr 16 05:12:06 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-16 02:32, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> I don't think that confidence is warranted.  The world of Python is very large.  When public APIs (such as that in the venerable types module) get changed, is virtually assured that some code will break.

Yes, *some* code will break, I never denied that. I just think that
there is not much existing code which needs to distinguish between
different kinds of methods, such that not much code will break. And if
existing code does need to make that distinction, the reason for it
might go away after PEP 575 (this is what Nick Coghlan also alluded to).

The hard question is whether the expected breakage is bad enough to
reject this PEP. This is my first PEP, so I honestly don't have a good
idea how high the bar for backwards compatibility is.

Jeroen.