[Python-Dev] PEP 552: deterministic pycs

Freddy Rietdijk freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl
Thu Sep 7 17:19:08 EDT 2017

> The main objection to that model is that it requires modifying source
timestamps, which isn't possible for builds on read-only source trees.

Why not set the source timestamps of the source trees to say 1 first?
That's what is done with the Nix package manager. The Python interpreter is
patched (mostly similar to the referred PR) and checks whether
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is set, and if so, sets the mtime to 1.