[Python-Dev] PEP 553: Built-in debug()

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Thu Sep 7 17:04:05 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Environmental variables tend to be a pain on Windows and nigh unusable by
> beginners.  Leaving that aside, I see these problems with trying to use one
> for IDLE's *current* debugger.
>
> pdb is universal, in the sense of working with any python run with actual or
> simulated stdin and stdout.  IDLE's idb is specific to working with IDLE. So
> one could not set an EV to 'idlelib.idb.start' and leave it while switching
> between IDLE and console.

Would it work for IDLE to set the environment variable for the child process?

The user certainly should not need to be involved in that.

That doesn't address the issue of setting up the communications
channel before breakpoint() is called, but allows the breakpointhook
that gets used to work with whatever has been arranged.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein