[Python-Dev] PEP 553: Built-in debug()

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 15:09:09 EDT 2017

On 2017-09-07 00:20:17 +0000, Barry Warsaw said:

> Thanks Fernando, this is exactly the kind of feedback from other
> debuggers that I’m looking for.  It certainly sounds like a handy
> feature; I’ve found myself wanting something like that from pdb from
> time to time.

Glad it's useful, thanks for the pep!

> The PEP has an open issue regarding breakpoint() taking *args and
> **kws, which would just be passed through the call stack.  It sounds
> like you’d be in favor of that enhancement.

If you go witht the `(*a, **k)` pass-through API, would you have a
special keyword-only arg called 'header' or similar? That seems like a
decent compromise to support the feature with the builtin while
allowing other implementations to offer more features. In any case, +1
to a pass-through API, as long as the built-in supports some kind of
mechanism to help the user get their bearings with "you're here" type
messages.

Cheers