[Python-Dev] If aligned_alloc() is missing on your platform, please let us know.

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 07:09:28 EDT 2017

> Victor wrote a patch and would like to avoid adding a (probably unnecessary)
> emulation function. I agree with that.
> (...)
> So if any platform does not have some form of aligned_alloc(), please
> speak up.

I'm not really opposed to implement an aligned allocator on top of an
existing allocator. I only propose to discuss that in a separated
issue. I wrote "PEP 445 -- Add new APIs to customize Python memory
allocators" to implement tracemalloc, but also because I was working
on a Python version patched to use custom memory allocators, different
than malloc()/free():
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0445/#rationale

IMHO only users of PyMem_SetAllocators() would need such "fallback". I
expect all modern platforms to provide a "aligned" memory allocator.

Victor