[Python-Dev] PEP 561: Distributing and Packaging Type Information

Ethan Smith ethan at ethanhs.me
Mon Oct 30 00:21:00 EDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Ethan Smith <ethan at ethanhs.me> wrote:
> > However, the stubs may be put in a sub-folder
> > of the Python sources, with the same name the ``*.py`` files are in. For
> > example, the ``flyingcircus`` package would have its stubs in the folder
> > ``flyingcircus/flyingcircus/``. This path is chosen so that if stubs are
> > not found in ``flyingcircus/`` the type checker may treat the
> subdirectory as
> > a normal package.
>
> I admit that I find this aesthetically unpleasant. Wouldn't something
> like __typestubs__/ be a more Pythonic name? (And also avoid potential
> name clashes, e.g. my async_generator package has a top-level export
> called async_generator; normally you do 'from async_generator import
> async_generator'. I think that might cause problems if I created an
> async_generator/async_generator/ directory, especially post-PEP 420.)

I agree, this is unpleasant, I am now of the thought that if maintainers do
not wish to ship stubs alongside their Python code, they should just create
separate stub-only packages. I don't think there is a particular need to
special case this for minor convenience.

<snip>

> > Type Checker Module Resolution Order
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > The following is the order that type checkers supporting this PEP should
> > resolve modules containing type information:
> >
> > 1. User code - the files the type checker is running on.
> >
> > 2. Stubs or Python source manually put in the beginning of the path. Type
> >    checkers should provide this to allow the user complete control of
> which
> >    stubs to use, and patch broken stubs/inline types from packages.
> >
> > 3. Third party stub packages - these packages can supersede the installed
> >    untyped packages. They can be found at ``pkg-stubs`` for package
> ``pkg``,
> >    however it is encouraged to check the package's metadata using
> packaging
> >    query APIs such as ``pkg_resources`` to assure that the package is
> meant
> >    for type checking, and is compatible with the installed version.
>
> Am I right that this means you need to be able to map from import
> names to distribution names? I.e., if you see 'import foo', you need
> to figure out which *.dist-info directory contains metadata for the
> 'foo' package? How do you plan to do this?

The problem is that technically, import names and distribution names
> are totally unrelated namespaces -- for example, the '_pytest' package
> comes from the 'pytest' distribution, the 'pylab' package comes from
> 'matplotlib', and 'pip install scikit-learn' gives you a package
> imported as 'sklearn'. Namespace packages are also challenging,
> because a single top-level package might actually be spread across
> multiple distributions.

This is a problem. What I now realize is that the typing metadata is needed
for *packages* and not distributions. I will work on a new proposal that
makes the metadata per-package. It will require a slightly more complicated
proposal, but I feel that it is necessary. Thank you for realizing this
issue with my proposal, I probably should have caught it earlier.

-n